Hari ini Steve Jobs tutup usia, meninggal di usia 56 tahun karena penyakit yang di deritanya. Jelas merupakan kerugian buat Apple karena kehilangan sosok pemimpin dan karyawan kreatifnya. Namun, kepergian Steve Jobs tidak-lah sia-sia, paling tidak dia meninggalkan beberapa kata-kata inspiratif yang bisa kita gunakan sebagai referensi dan pemacu semangat. Berikut beberapa kata inspiratif dari sang legenda Apple itu.
1. “We’ve never worried about numbers. In the market place, Apple is trying to focus the spotlight on products, because products really make a difference. Ad campaigns are necessary for competition; IBM’s ads are everywhere. But good PR educates people; that’s all it is. You can’t con people in this business. The products speak for themselves.”
2. Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
3. That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains
4. It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them
5. Picasso had a saying: ‘Good artists copy, great artists steal.’ We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas…I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world.
6. You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
7. My model for business is The Beatles. They were four guys who kept each other’s kind of negative tendencies in check. They balanced each other and the total was greater than the sum of the parts. That’s how I see business: great things in business are never done by one person, they’re done by a team of people.
8. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become
9. Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected
10. Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works
11. I think we’re having fun. I think our customers really like our products. And we’re always trying to do better.
12. Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower
13. It is piracy, not overt online music stores, which is our main competitor
14. A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path. Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets
15. Pretty much, Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation.
16. Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.
17. The people who are doing the work are the moving force behind the Macintosh. My job is to create a space for them, to clear out the rest of the organization and keep it at bay.
18. To turn really interesting ideas and fledgling technologies into a company that can continue to innovate for years, it requires a lot of disciplines.
19. You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.